The Handsome Stranger

1 – Fluid

2 – Melody

3 – Trap

Sergeant Wilson stood looking at the pictures of the women. There had been three now that had been killed in the area and one over in Jonesville that they think was tied in with this sick bastard. All women in there mid to late twenties, all brunettes. And that was the only connection they had found so far.

The last woman had been murdered near a city park and left behind for a little ten year old boy to find. It made the sergeant furious to think about. Not only was this nut after women but now that little boy had seen too much. It was like the killer had set a trap intentionally for a kid to find her all stretched out by the jungle gym.

A knock on the door brought the sergeant out of his thoughts. “Come in. how can I help you?”

“Sergeant, Williams just called in, there has been another body found near Jackson Pond.” said the officer. “It is another brunette named Melody Stevens.”

“Call the coroner, and for God’s sake keep the kids and press away this time. Tell them I am on my way.”


Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – trap

The Handsome Stranger

1 – Fluid

2 – Melody

“What’s your name?” he asked as she popped the hood release lever. She was perfect he thought, a lot distracted and brunette just like her.

“Melody, is my name, “she said. “The daughter of two musicians from the sixties.”

He only half heard her. He was busy looking to see if there was any traffic on the street that might see him. He had only been lucky these past few months by being prepared at any time to take action against these half wit women like she had been, his first wife.

He quickly came to the drivers side door and swung hard making contact with her cheek. She slumped back across to the passengers side, passed out. He looked around again and then shut the hood. Getting her hands together with zip ties he shoved her body out of the drivers side and began to smile, “What a dumb bitch,” he said and started the car.

Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – melody

The Handsome Stranger

1 – Fluid

The light flashed on her dashboard, “Service Engine Soon.” That was all she needed now, a car repair bill to heap onto the pile of unpaid bills. “Maybe it is something minor that can wait another week.” she though.

As she turned the corner, she was so distracted, she about hit some guy walking. She showed him a slight smile and mouthed the word sorry. He approached her car as she pulled into a parking space. Getting out of the car he said, “Do you know you’re leaking fluid?” She felt a big relief that was all he had to say, and maybe she could scratch the car repair off her to do list sooner than she thought.

“I am so sorry sir, I wasn’t paying attention earlier. Thank you for noticing the leak.” she said as she looked into his brilliant blue eyes.

He smiled and said, “I have some things to do, but I can help you real quick and take a look under your hood to see if it is a hose.”

She stepped back to her car door and unlocked it saying, “Sure if you have the time.” It turns out that moment of accepting his help would be the biggest mistake of her soon to end life.

Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – fluid

To Me

Carry my heart with you
It is already yours
I gave it to you years ago
And never got it back
A part of me will always
Belong only to you
For you were the one
Who helped me find my strength
Your impact in my life
Has never been forgotten
And as you move on through life
I hope you will remember
Somewhere deep inside
Is a little piece of someone
Who will love you endlessly
Because of who you were to me
Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – carry

Blowing In The Wind

shed the skin of yesterday
make a brand new start
face the winds of the future
with an open heart
the past held deep pain
I’d rather just forget
but to remember means
I never will again get hit
he tried to destroy me
but I stood up tall
in the end
it was him who took the fall
the drinking took its toll
and ended his life
no more chaos
no more strife
the future is now
and I will shine
because for once
my life seems fine
This if for all those who deal with domestic violence. Thankfully I have never been hit, but can understand how a person can be stuck in a toxic relationship.

Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – shed

Hang On Tight

She drove through town in a haphazard fashion. Her life was so complicated and she was just trying to get to a place of peace, anyplace without the headaches of her life. She found herself at a local park and pulled into a parking space by the creek.

She stood on the bridge and breathed deep the crisp fall air. Her relationship was in tatters, her Mom was sick and work had become an exercise in trying to control her anxieties.

Tomorrow she was seeing a new therapist. It had to help… she was at the end of her rope.


Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – haphazard

Coffee Talk

Her phone went off and it was a text from him. A love from her past that she considered a good friend now. He was coming through town and wanted to see her to talk over coffee.

She was now in a relationship but thought nothing of meeting a friend. He started into his old ways of flirting. It made her both flattered and scared. He had been the one to break it off and there were still feelings there. It made her wonder if this was just meeting a friend or was it a tryst with an old flame?
Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – tryst

Mumbles … Impose

Impose is “force to accept or take advantage of” according to my pocket dictionary. Most often I hear it in the form of take advantage of. Someone coming over doesn’t want to impose upon you to stay for dinner. Or be an imposition and spent the night during a storm.

(This is where I go off course a little bit) A storm is possibly coming this weekend. Normally that wouldn’t mean much but we are celebrating our Thanksgiving on Sunday as my boyfriend works retail and my daughter in the food service and both business are open on Thanksgiving. So we have just decided not to fight it and have Thanksgiving on the weekend.

Now this year we are seating 5 people at our tiny kitchen table (need to move an office chair in so everyone has a seat) and 3 of those 5 live out of town. So I have been watching the forecast and in the last two days we went from 10% chance of snow, to 20% chance and now today the forecast I saw was for 80% chance. UGH! I really want everyone to make it to dinner. I would not mind them staying the night if they got stranded – we have two recliners and a couch that would accommodate them… and it would not be an imposition.

So I will keep my eyes on the weather map and hope to see everyone for a late Thanksgiving. I send out hopes that all of you had a very happy Thanksgiving and are surviving any Black Friday shopping you are doing!

Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – impose


“I am not your property to be brought out only on special occasions! To be seen just to decorate your arm when you need to look good! I am a not a thing, I am a woman who deserves her own life and if you can’t give me that…” she trailed off, out of breath and heart beating fast.

“Now sweetie I didn’t mean anything by it.” he said condescendingly

She spun back around to face him, “Don’t call me sweetie! You go enjoy your dinner alone.” and with that she turned back to her suitcase and opened it up.


Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – property

A Square Peg In A Round Hole

From early in my youth
I felt I didn’t belong
The shy one afraid to speak up
Terrified I would get things wrong
And everyone would see and judge
All eyes on me every day at school

Now it’s my body that makes me an outcast
Not fit to work anymore
Diseased and unwanted
Unable to be present in life some days
It makes me wonder
If it is even worth it to try

I sit alone in the dark and remember
Past pain I received when I tried
And I ponder my decision
To get up yet again and attempt life
When I am just so tired and broken


Written for Fandango’s One-Word Challenge (FOWC) – belong