I think this is a first for me. I have answered Fandango’s Provocative Question in the comments before, but this week there was just too much to the question(s) to put in the comments so lets just into it.
This week Fandango asks:
For this week’s provocative question, I’m going to ask you about your TV viewing habits. My questions are below if you care to answer, either in the comments or on your own post. Ready?
- What country do you live in?
- How many televisions do you have in your home?
- On average, how many hours a day do you watch TV?
- What kinds of programs do you typically watch (e.g., news, sports, movies, dramas, sitcoms, reality shows)?
- Do you watch programs as they are aired or do you record them and watch them at other times?
- Do you mostly watch “network” TV? Premium cable channels (e.g., HBO, Showtime)? Streaming channels (e.g., Netflix, Hulu, Prime Video, Disney+, Apple+)?
- How often, if at all, do you use other devices than television (e.g., computers, smartphones) to watch programs?
First of all I am in the middle of the United States with only one TV in my house. From here the questions get a little grey. Used to be I would have the TV on 24/7, but barely watched it. It was “company” in an empty house.
I am in the process of changing things a little. I am slowly getting into streaming what I want to watch as opposed to what is on cable. I have been listening to Amazon Music during the days at my computer and doing things around the house as pain allows me to. But usually I watch the local ten o’clock news and then it is more like background noise again until morning as I find it hard to sleep in a quiet house… although through the years I have learned no home is ever truly quiet, especially with three cats. So, as the set may be on about 10 to 12 hours depending on how late I am up (I am a night owl) I maybe only watch 2 to 4 hours.
I watch the local news and a mix of old shows I loved (Quantum Leap and The Carol Duvall show this week) and new discoveries (Squid Game and Downton Abbey) and the occasional movie I have on my to watch list (the original War of the Worlds and Forbidden Planet). So, I watch a mix of “live” and on demand shows. I rarely record anything.
As for the last two questions… all of the above. Local news (TV), movies (Starz, HBO, Disney) and streaming channels I am starting to discover more and more. However almost all of these are watched on the TV, with an occasional viewing on my computer. The phone screen is just too small. But music still reigns number one in my house – computer, tv music channels or the good old fashioned radio. How do you view?
Written for Fandango’s Provocative Question (FPQ) #175